Myasthenia Gravis Association of BC – Organization Purpose
The purpose of the Myasthenia Gravis Association of British Columbia is to provide peer support for people living with Myasthenia Gravis and their families. Membership and support are particularly helpful to the newly diagnosed.
Related Secondary Goals
1. To increase public awareness of the disease.
2. To gather and disseminate specific information on Myasthenia Gravis to healthcare providers.
3. To foster and support research into the causes and treatment of Myasthenia Gravis.
1. The provision of educational material which enables patients and their families to better understand and cope with their disease. These include a wide selection of pamphlets and books written for the patient.
2. General meetings are held with a Keynote Speaker addressing an aspect of Myasthenia Gravis which provides an opportunity for questions and informal discussion.
3. Opportunities can be arranged for patients and family members to meet with one or more of their peers to enable a better understanding of the disease and how to live with it.
4. A bi-annual newsletter is sent all members as well as to health units, libraries, and neurologists.
There are a number of neurologists at the Vancouver General Hospital Neuromuscular Diseases Unit who specialise in Myasthenia Gravis. The unit can be reached at 604-875-4247.